It ain't easy bein' cheesy... Easy Vegan Hacks 🧑🍳
If you’re trying out Veganuary for the first time, you're #VeganCurious, or simply looking to eat more plant-based food in 2021 – these handy hacks will help save you time & energy!
Cheese is the Nation’s sweetheart & giving it up can be really challenging. Thankfully nutritional yeast is on hand to add a cheesy flavour to pretty much anything. It particularly suits being sprinkled on pasta or tomato dishes for a subtle parmesan-y taste. It’s also packed with B-vitamins including B12, which is very hard to come by as a vegan.
Hello, cheesy lasagne! Soak cashews for an hour in hot water, then rinse off. They become soft & can be blended to create a super thick & creamy texture. Use this combined with unsweetened almond milk, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper & spices to create a delicious bechamel alternative.
Fancy making your own cheesy sauce? Just add pasta!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1small onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder or 1 tsp Dijon
- Pinch cayenne
- Panko breadcrumbs (optional)
- Heat Tbsp oil in a small saucepan on medium. Add onion 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper and cook covered, stirring occasionally until tender, 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in cashews, mustard powder and cayenne. Add 1½ cups water and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until cashews are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer mixture a blender, add nutritional yeast and ½ cup water and puree until smooth. Transfer mixture back to saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally until thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Toss with pasta and serve sprinkled with extra nutritional yeast or panko breadcrumbs.
share with friends
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.